Hello, I'm Chris Johnson, owner and operator of Woodfirst Sustainable Enterprises. Give me a call. Let’s talk about your tree project.
Woodfirst is a portable sawmill service that I’ve been operating since 2004. I use two machines;a Woodmizer computerized hydraulic driven band saw and an Alaskan style chain saw mill of my own design, also hydraulic. I’ve been slab milling since 1979. I have use my Alaskan chain sawmill to reach into backyards, woods, and ravines.
My goal is to help you reclaim as much wood as possible while helping you get their best value out of your urban or rural trees. This minimizes their carbon foot print and saves money. I take the time to explain to clients how to treat wood they had milled such as sealing the ends, or the grain’s best ways to be cut.
I can look at a log and see its beauty and uses. I enjoy watching the property owners’ faces as their heritage trees are being milled and they see the lumber they receive. I have worked for schools as there is a learning opportunity there. I get to speak to students conveying that there is value in maintaining a trees’ health and usefulness, as well as ecological values. I have worked for government agencies.
Below are some of those schools and agencies I’ve milled for:
- Federal Bureau of Reclamation
- Oregon Department of Parks
- The township of Atherton, CA
- The City of Redmond Washington, Parks department
- The Oakland Zoo, Oakland, CA
- Bishop O’Dowd Academy, Oakland, CA
- Sacred Heart in Atherton, CA
- UC Davis, CA
- Mission San Jose High School in Freemont, CA, an industrial arts program
- Lincoln High school in Stockton, CA, also an industrial arts program
- De Anza Community College, Cupertino, CA
I have also worked with numerous architects, general contractors, and winery owners.
If it’s good for the tree, it’s good for the earth.